ADF (Aerosol Dispensing Forum) and PCD (Packaging of Perfume, Cosmetics & Design) has announced its conference schedule and speaker line up for PCD, which will be held at the show, September 6 and 7, at the Metropolitan Pavilion and Altman Building in New York City.
“We are delighted to be offering such a high caliber and compelling conference program this year. Our team has spent months conducting in-depth research, talking to brands and industry experts, to make sure we understood what the current industry challenges are. As a result, this year’s show has a really compelling line-up of topics and expert speakers that will address the major issues the industry faces today,” said Christelle Anya, Show Director for ADF&PCD.
Speakers from Birchbox, Colgate-Palmolive, Fashion Institute of Technology, Glossybox, Johnson & Johnson, LinkedIn, Pratt Institute, and other top companies, will explore a variety of hot topics including: the latest global beauty & lifestyle trends from Korea to Nordic chic, subscription sampling and more; the challenges of packaging in the eCommerce world and how the design of packaging has an impact on business; a roadmap on how to make packaging more sustainable in the resource-constrained 21st century, among other hot topics.
For a preview of what’s in store during the conference, speaker Dana Aidekman, Director of Merchandising at Birchbox, said, “I'm excited to be inspired by the packaging industry. I also want to offer my perspective of how beauty retailers and subscriptions continue to rely on innovative product formats and packaging to fuel our business (especially as sampling strategies grow!) As a packaging industry outsider, my perspective is differentiated because I focus on what will drive sales for our brand partners, and ultimately their suppliers.”
Session Chair David R. Burke, Assistant Chairperson of Graduate Communications / Package Design at Pratt Institute, added, “I would like to focus on building bridges between packaging design professions and the more speculative work of packaging design graduate students (who may be looking beyond a product to using design thinking and research methods to review service) and system that are impacted by product and packaging design. There are a number of speculative, future scenarios among others that focus on visualizing climate change or speculate how we will live, consume, reuse and or consume in the future.”
PCD Conference Program
Wednesday, September 6
- 10.00 – 11.30 Exploring the latest global beauty & lifestyle trends … from Korea to Nordic chic … subscription sampling and more!
This insightful futuristic trend presentation will intrigue global brands, packaging designers, product development executives and smart marketers with a powerful glimpse into a futuristic world. It will highlight mega-trends “now and next” in the world of beauty, fashion, lifestyle, consumers, packaging, shopping, global foods food, creative cocktails, home décor, sports, travel and more. Discover smart and strategic insight for businesses, brands and manufacturers …it’s all about futuristic growth and innovation, creative packaging innovations and new consumer retail-tainment.
- 10.00 – 10.10: Chairwoman’s overview: Jeanine Recckio, Beauty Futurologist & Innovation Designer, Mirror Mirror
- 10.10 – 10.30: Carlos Soares Moreira, Head of Business Development, Glossybox
- 10.30 – 10.50: Sarah Jindal, Senior Innovation and Insight Analyst - Beauty + Personal Care, Mintel
- 10.50 – 11.00: Q&A
- 11.00 – 11.15: Meet the speakers
- 11.45 – 12.15 - Use LinkedIn to discover innovation
Pamella will explain how to use the world’s number professional network to unearth innovations
- 11.45 – 12.05: Pamella Seales, Key Account Manager, LinkedIn
- 12.05 – 12.15: Q&A
- 1.15 – 2.45 - Overcoming the challenge of sustainability in a 21st Century world
Learn to make packaging more sustainable in the resource-constrained 21st century.
- 1.15 – 1.25: Chairman’s overview: David Burke, Assistant Chairperson Graduate Communication Design, Pratt Institute
- 1.25 – 1.45: Carolyn Shafer, Director of the Center for Sustainable Design Strategies (CSDS) at Pratt Institute and Director of the s.Lab at the Brooklyn Fashion + Design Accelerator (BF+DA)
- 1.45 – 2.05: Roger Zellner, Former Global Director - R&D Packaging Productivity & Simplification, Mondelez International
- 2.05 – 2.25: Q&A
- 2.25 – 2.45: Meet the speakers
- 3.00 – 4.25 - The challenges of packaging in the e-commerce world
How does the design of packaging have an impact on business?
In an evolving retail marketplace, companies will need to consider a lifecycle approach in terms of designing product and packaging to meet varying requirements of online and offline retailers, growing customer preferences and a changing regulatory landscape. Both online retailers and producers will need to work together amidst this changing landscape and take a close look at their products, packaging materials, processes, logistics and end of life management to drive material efficiencies and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
- 3.00 – 3.10: Chairwoman’s overview: Marianne Klimchuk, Chairperson, Packaging Design Department, Fashion Institute of Technology
- 3.10 – 3.30: Ritika Kalia, Board member and Chair of e-commerce committee, American Institute for Packaging and the Environment (AMERIPEN) / Lead Marketing Manager for the Dow Chemical Company
- 3.30 – 3.50: Dana Aidekman, Director of Merchandising, Birchbox
- 3.50 – 4.10: Q&A
- 4.10 – 4.25 Meet the speakers
Thursday, September 7
- 11.10 – 11.25: Meet the speakers
- 10.55 – 11.10: Q&A
- 10.40 – 10.55: Laszlo Moharita, Global Director – Johnson & Johnson Beauty Packaging
- 10.25 – 10.40: Jodi Katz, Founder / Creative Director, Base Beauty Creative Agency
- 10.10 – 10.25: François Damide, Founder / President, Crafting Beauty
- 10.00 – 10.10: Chairwoman’s overview: Deanna Utroske, Senior Correspondent, Cosmetics Design
- 10.00 – 11.30 – Beating the odds to create truly innovative beauty packaging
Learn about solving the challenges and overcoming (or avoiding!) the obstacles that stand between a great packaging idea and the marketplace.
- 11.45 – 1.00 - Consumers – what the hell are they thinking? (Consumer Trends)
Look at latest packaging strategies and visual directions underlining consumers’ new needs and lifestyles in beauty and grooming. Learn how to anticipate and respond to key consumer-led shifts, manufacturing innovations and material developments that will shape the market. Inspirational design directions and cues for developing more compelling product across skincare, cosmetics, haircare and beyond, will be highlighted.
- 11.45 – 11.55: Chairman’s overview: Jeb Gleason-Allured, Editor in Chief, Global Cosmetic Industry magazine (GCI)
- 11.55 – 12.15: Ian Nicholson, Worldwide Director Strategic Innovation & Technology Alliances, Colgate Palmolive
- 12.15 – 12.35: Shannon Davenport, Trend Forecaster & Innovation Strategist, Stylus
- 12.35 – 12.45: Q&A
- 12.45 – 1.00 Meet the speakers
- 2.00 – 2.55 - The importance of collaboration between brands and suppliers
Purchasing, R&D, product development and technical packaging teams are constantly collaborating with their suppliers to develop innovative products: co-development, open innovation, open development.
This policy enables them to control the traceability of raw materials and packaging components used for finished products, and to ensure secure and steady supply chains, as well as compliance with international labor standards and the respect for human rights.
- 2.00 – 2.15: Tanguy Chen Laurent, U.S. Managing Partner at Creative Capital
- 2.15 – 2.30: Benny Calderone, Vice President at CIBS
- 2.30 – 2.40: Q&A
- 2.40 – 2.55: Meet the speakers
The ADF&PCD event also features an impressive line-up of over 130 suppliers, the ADF Conference (see program on the website), the Innovation Awards, networking lunch and champagne drinks party. More information and free registration can be found at www.adf-pcd.com.
Image: Carolyn Shafer, Director of the Center for Sustainable Design Strategies (CSDS) at Pratt Institute and Director of the s.Lab at the Brooklyn Fashion + Design Accelerator (BF+DA)