ADF&PCD New York 2019 Wrap-Up: Innovation Award Winners, Record Attendance and a Spotlight on Sustainability
The Aerosol & Dispensing Forum (ADF) and Packaging of Perfume, Cosmetics & Design (PCD) New York —North America's only dedicated event for the aerosol, dispensing, perfume and cosmetic packaging industry— wrapped up another successful year with a Conference program and Exhibition show floor packed with the latest sustainability solutions and technological innovations.
Attendance was at an all-time high, with more than 2,000 visitors who came to learn, network and build relationships with specialist suppliers. Visitors found it easier than ever to gain hands-on access to new environmentally friendly packaging options on display. The accompanying Conference Program featured industry leaders who shed light on sustainability strategies and challenges that are top of mind for both brands and suppliers.
Brands in Attendance
Attendees comprised of packaging experts, R&D specialists, procurement professionals and more from some of the industry's most influential brands. These included Amika, Avon, Church & Dwight Co., Colgate-Palmolive, Coppertone, CORE HOME, COTY, Estee Lauder, Fresh (LVMH), GlaxoSmithKline, Harry’s, Johnson & Johnson, L Brands, L’Occitane, L'Oreal, Maesa, Malin + Goetz, MOROCCANOIL, Procter & Gamble, Reckitt Benckiser, Revlon, Sherwin Williams, Shiseido, The Coca-Cola Company, Unilever and WD-40. 62 different countries in total were represented at the event.
- Innovation on the Show Floor
- Exhibitors at the event did not fail to impress, showcasing 1000s of packaging, aerosol and dispensing solutions for the brands in attendance.
Robert Demson, Research Fellow at Henkel said of his time as a visitor to the show floor, “In terms of future innovation, I discussed with multiple companies about their product offerings for both sustainability and unique delivery systems for aerosol mousse & hairspray formulations. Returning to my R&D team with plenty of ‘ideation fuel."
- Future Beauty Packaging Live, powered by PCD and Webpac, covered much talked about industry topics including e-commerce, packaging for indie beauty brands, designing for optimum consumer experience, and the challenges of international growth. The Conference was well-attended overall, especially the Plastics in Turmoil: Towards Greener Alternatives In Beauty Packaging panel discussion, which further illustrates the importance of and demand for delivering more sustainable packaging, aerosol and dispensing systems.
- The Eco-Tours, guided attendees to the most sustainable, environmentally friendly exhibitors and products on display.
- Innovation Wall by Material ConneXion, the world’s leading material resource and trusted advisor to Fortune 500 companies, exhibited its Sustainable Packaging Innovation Wall, a display of cutting-edge materials and processes.
- Less And More: Meeting Indie Beauty Brands' Packaging Needs, a panel that addressed issues surrounding the growing global independent beauty movement.
Kameelah S. Majied, Associate Director of MERCK and visitor to the show, “The Future of Beauty Live seminars were so valuable. In addition to participating in one, I made the effort to attend. What a wealth of knowledge I gained from industry experts!”
- ADF Conference, in a partnership with the Household & Commercial Products Association (HCPA) and National Aerosol Association (NAA), delivered one of the only free-to-attend dedicated events for the aerosol and dispensing markets. It covered the impact of today’s political environment on the aerosol industry; sustainability; innovations in aluminum aerosol cans; the challenges of compressed air aerosol; the future of aerosol recycling and more.
- Distributors Wanted, a new program to connect exhibitors directly with distributors in attendance, further strengthening the event's position as one of the premier networking events for the industry.
Bridget Winkler, Strategic Marketing Manager for Aptar, said of her experience as an exhibitor, “ADF&PCD New York provided a unique opportunity for Aptar, as a global leader in innovative dispensing packaging solutions, to highlight our award-winning aerosol innovation technology, as well as deepen our connection with beauty brand owners. Our partnership with the ADF&PCD team allows Aptar to showcase our use of market insights, design, and engineering to build brand value for our customers."
ADF&PCD New York 2019 Packaging Innovation Award Winners
Innovation Award winners were revealed in the September 18 ceremony led by Christophe Pradère, CEO & Founder of BETC Design:
- Personal Care: Monat Studio One™ Strong Flexi-Hold Hairspray
- Technical & Industrial Applications/Sustainability: Lindal Group DuPont's Great Stuff™ Smart Dispenser™
- Personal Healthcare: Ren Clean Skincare Clean Screen Mineral
- Makeup: Bourjois – Rouge Velvet – The Lipstick
- Haircare: Wendy Iles – Iles Formula
- Fragrance: ES-84 Parfums
Rising Star Awards
New for 2019, the Rising Star Awards were presented to recognize outstanding projects from Pratt Institute and Fashion Institute of Technology students:
- Jane Wu, Pratt
- Kir Yuan, Pratt
- Marko Radojevic, FIT
- Jerry Hsiao, FIT
Dandelion Clocks Award
A new award was announced to spotlight inventors, the first Dandelion Clocks Award will be presented at ADF&PCD NY 2020. This special award has been organized by Marisol Simard, Founder of Dandelion Clocks Inc., a consulting firm focused on business growth through innovation strategies and creative team dynamics for the beauty industry.
ADF&PCD Events in 2020
ADF&PCD hosts industry events throughout the year in New York and Paris. In 2020, ADF&PCD joins with the Packaging of Premium & Luxury Drinks (PLD) to launch a new event that connects packaging developers, designers and innovators to share ideas and inspiration, discover new packaging possibilities and learn from international influencers that shape the global premium and luxury drinks packaging community.
ADF&PCD and PLD Paris
will take place on January 29-30, 2020 at the Paris Expo Porte de Versailles, Paris.