Industry 4.0 represents the fourth great leap in technology since the dawn of the industrial age. Each has brought its own set of challenges and forced industry to adapt the way it operates. But the opportunities created by those businesses flexible and far-sighted enough to seize them have been enormous.
Industry 4.0 is about smart manufacturing: fully-integrated collaborative systems that respond in real time to meet changing demands and conditions in the factory. It is where automation combines with IT networks and systems – enriched through live and constantly available data and analytics – to drive operations more efficiently and effectively.
Embracing Industry 4.0 can lead to increased productivity, reduced costs and deliver increased profitability for businesses. Internally it also provides the opportunity for continued progression and upskilling, creating new jobs for employees.
By implementing a five-step process, food and beverage manufacturers can more quickly respond to the changing needs of their consumers and make the most of Industry 4.0.
- Partner. Join forces with others in the food and beverage industry who have a deep understanding of the technology and processes Industry 4.0 requires and of the imagination required to execute them
- Connect. Ensure their equipment is capable of being connected with each other, and with the workforce necessary to manage it efficiently
- Engage. Team up with subject matter experts in each part of their processes, to ensure they are fit and ready to respond to the potential changes Industry 4.0 will bring
- Analyse. Make sure they have the capability to analyse the data that is generated to make swift, smart decisions
- Decide. Make informed decisions based on what they’ve learned about their business needs, and how their strategy needs to adapt