On Wednesday 28th October, the show programme includes a wide variety of content with particular focus on the life cycle of packaging and the effect of the pending EU proposals for the circular economy. The programme includes round tables, reviews, panel sessions and case studies, finishing up with a look at current trends and their implication in the future of beverage packaging.
08:30-09:00 Registration and refreshments
09:00-10:00 Speaker hosted round tables
- Debating best practices to help improve shelf impact for greater consumer appeal
- Discussing approaches to help reduce cost without compromising consumer appeal
- Evaluating strategies to meet the demands of the EU commission proposals to implement a circular economy
- Setting out key criterias to ensure your organisation carefully selects the right material for your beverage
10:00-10:30 Packaging and packaging waste and the (pending) EU proposals for the circular economy
Mariane Muller, Policy Officer for Packaging & Waste
10:30-11:00 Morning Break & Networking
11:00-11:30 Reviewing the pros and cons in the recycling vs. reusability debate to pinpoint the best approach towards extending the life cycle of your package
Antoinette Devine, Global packaging & materials consultant, SABMiller
- Highlighting the important differences between both approaches to help decide which works better for your company
- Examining whether recycling standards can still be met whilst taking a pro re-usability approach
- Addressing the challenges associated with implementing either of the approaches to help set up the most efficient process for your company
- Evaluating whether recycling is actually a good approach whilst trying achieve the longest life cycle
- Carrying out a cost analysis on both approaches to help find the best strategy for your company
11:30-12:00 (to be confirmed)
12:00-12:30 Analysis of the circular economy
Hans Van Boc Hove, Vice President of Public Affairs Europe, Coca Cola Enterprise
12:30-12:45 (to be confirmed)
12:45-13:45 Lunch & networking
13:45-14:15 Panel Session: Balancing the pros and cons of different packaging material to help address material selection headaches
- Debating the use of each packaging material and understanding the need for different packaging formats for different drinking occasions
- Exploring the advantages of utilizing certain materials over others to help make your product stand out on the shelf
- Discussing the use of sustainable alternatives and how they may be considered for your product to re-affirm your companies environmentally healthy approach
- Addressing the possibility of price rises in certain raw materials to help determine the impact this will have on the level of investment required for raw materials
14:15-14:45 Danone Waters Case Study - Addressing the impact of the pending EU Proposals to assess the changing roles of packaging within the circular economy
Philippe Diercxsens, Head of Environment Affairs
14:45-15:15 (to be confirmed)
15:15-15:45 Introducing cost effective strategies to reduce carbon emissions and improve your product environment footprint
Paul Bruijn, Senior Global Lead Environment and Safety, Heineken Global Supply Chain
15:45-16:15 The EU Circular Economy Package from a packaging material perspective
Maarten Labberton, Director Packaging Group, European Aluminium
- How packaging materials contribute to the Circular Economy: Some stay longer than others while some might never exit the loop!
- Make sure your brand is associated with packaging materials that deliver a positive contribution to the Circular Economy – the 'permanent material' case
- We need ambitious but also realistic recycling and recovery targets, given the diversity of the national waste management systems in place
- We should measure real recycling in an European harmonized way but we should avoid detailed reporting resulting into extra administrative burden to companies
16:15-16:45 The Canadean Perspective: An overview of the current trends driving the current and future landscape of beverage packaging
Jean Pattison, West Europe and Africa Research Manager, Canadean
- How will each major packaging material demonstrate growth over the coming year?
- What are the latest growth market hotspots for sustainable packaging?
- Where can we expect to see the next greatest innovation in packaging?
- What can we expect in terms of new and emerging players over the coming year?
16:45-16:50 Chairman's summary and close of conference